Preparing for an interview can be daunting. The best interviews are the ones that are prepared ahead of time and focused on a goal. When searching for the best candidate for a position, it’s imperative to follow these helpful tips for conducting an effective interview. In addition, ensure your staffing agency is protected with a Direct Hire Insurance policy.
According to an article on Entrepreneur, conducting an effective interview is not as difficult as it seems. Here are a few tips when you interview a potential candidate.
- Prepare a list of basic interview questions before hand. Make sure to use a list of questions as a point of reference to stay on track. This is also a great tool to make sure you’re covering all the bases.
- Look for certain qualities. The start of the interview is the most critical because it gives you insight on your candidate. Are they confident? Do they have a strong handshake? Are they friendly and/or enthusiastic? Did they come in with neat and clean appearance?
- Make the interviewee comfortable with small talk. A great way to do this is by explaining the position and company in more detail.
- Ask open-ended questions. An example of this is, “Tell me about your last job.” Avoid asking yes or no questions as they do not shed light on a person’s background. Don’t be afraid to ask follow-up questions. Your candidate’s response will allow you to understand his personality, knowledge, etc.
- Pay attention to nonverbal cues. Is the candidate holding appropriate eye contact? Does he/she seem uninterested? Is he or she’s clothes wrinkled? These are important as they will warn of their behavior if selected for the job.
At World Wide Speciality Programs, we are committed to providing a Direct Hire Insurance Policy that provides coverage for the wrongful acts of the insured and their staff while performing direct hire/permanent placement services. We design this policy for firms that engage in these activities to protect them from claims brought by either side. For more information on our Staffing Agency Liability for the insured, call 877.256.0468, today.